GRENADA :: CHILD HEALTH & DISABILITY ADVISoR
Help develop a new outreach program in Grenada!
Location: Grace Lutheran Church and School, Woodlands, St. Georges, Grenada
Start Date: Summer 2018
Length of Service: Varies, up to 3 months
Application deadline: March 10, 2018
Apply for this project
The Grace Lutheran Child Development and Disability Program aims to serve children with disabilities and their families by delivering services like one-on-one interventions with children, parental coaching and counseling, providing opportunities to worship and create a safe place for children and families to integrate into the community. The volunteer advisor will serve Grace Lutheran ministries by guiding the Program Director to plan, develop and launch this exciting, new outreach program. The volunteer advisor will use their academic and professional knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to build an environment where ideas and activities to plan, develop, and launch the program are sourced from local leaders to create long-term sustainability.
In many societies, the most neglected of children are those with physical and developmental disabilities. Overall, the lack of services in Grenada for disabled children is recognized as a significant gap in required services, and Grace is in an ideal position to reach this under-served population. Along with the main focus of sharing the Gospel and showing Jesus' love to ALL people, one of their teachers already has a Masters in Special Ed, and it is also the only wheelchair accessible school in Grenada making it appealing to parents interested in integrating their children with disabilities into primary school.
- Summary of Responsibilities:
· Through observation, consultation, relationship building, mentoring and other appropriate interaction guide program director as appropriate to build a child development and disability program
· Use God given knowledge, skills and abilities to share the Gospel in the program and community
Program Development and Launch - guide Grace Program Director to:
· Facilitate the creation of child therapy play group
· Form family counselling and coaching practices with the Director and Pastor
· Develop a worship participation programs for children and adults with disabilities and their families
· Establish a community focused disability assessment process
· Begin a child disability and assessment awareness campaign
· Encourage congregation members to support the work of the program
· Graduate degree minimum in early childhood development, child psychology, special education, physiotherapy, pediatrics or pediatric nursing, child counseling or related educational concentration
· Minimum 5+ years professional experience specializing in early childhood education, child welfare, child development, child social work, special education, physiotherapy, pediatrics or pediatric nursing, child counseling or relevant occupation toward child development or counseling
· Advanced knowledge of the principles, methods, and procedures for treatment, and rehabilitation of children or individuals with physical and mental dysfunctions · Experience working directly with children or other individuals having developmental delays or disabilities
· Preferred experience developing childhood development programs, ideally with a focus on disabilities in international settings
· Experience discussing sensitive issues with families and caregivers
· Exceptional integrity and ability to keep sensitive information confidential
· Consultative abilities working with peers and others to solve problems
· Effective organization skills and a high level of detail orientation
· Comfortable working with people from cultures different from one’s own
· Ability to function in ever changing work environments with little or no supervision
The national language is English. Grenada is a tourist destination with many cultural undertones. The population is very welcoming of visitors. However, it may take a longer time to establish meaningful relationships with residents. That time frame results from the fact that people value community in all aspects of life. Generally, interactions are not direct between two people, so establishing one’s self as a part of the accepted community takes many interactions with many different people.
VOLUNTEER SAFETY CONCERNS:
There are very few general health and safety concerns. Of those, the concerns of note are heat exhaustion, physical adjustment to a new diet and typical tourism crimes (such as petty theft) There are a few specific concerns regarding infectious diseases. The three major diseases in the region are Zika, Dengue Fever and Chikungunya. Read more about safety and culture in Grenada [HERE].
For more information about health and immunizations, click on the button below.
Invest in the future of this ministry
Help Us Spread The Word!