Serve A YEAR OR MORE in the Caribbean
Position :: child health & disability Specialist
Location: Grace Lutheran Church, Grenada, Caribbean
Start date: Fall 2018
Length of service: 1+ years
Number of mission workers needed: 1
Application deadline: April 1, 2018
Kingdom Workers is partnering with Grace Lutheran Church and School in Grenada to develop a new community outreach program that will serve children with disabilities and their families by delivering services like one-on-one interventions with children, parental coaching and counseling, providing opportunities to worship, and creating a safe place for children and families to integrate into the community.
In many societies, the most neglected of children are those with physical and developmental disabilities. Overall, the lack of services in Grenada for disabled children is recognized as a significant gap in required services, and Grace is in an ideal position to reach this under-served population. Along with the main focus of sharing the Gospel and showing Jesus' love to ALL people, one of their teachers already has a Masters in Special Ed, and it is also the only wheelchair accessible school in Grenada making it appealing to parents interested in integrating their children with disabilities into primary school.
The Mission Worker will be an integral part of this program, serving in the role as an established caregiver and support person as the program grows and reaches families who are struggling.
MISSION WORKER RESPONSIBILITIES
Support the Program Director in daily operations of the program, including but not limited to;
· Encourage, guide, equip,and mentor children who have disabilities
· Share progress of children with the Director and with parents and caregivers
· Instruct, train, and advise parents and caregivers in child development actions at home as guided by the Director and Pastor
· Help equip congregational volunteers with the knowledge they need to serve in the program or (other staff if applicable)
· Actively assist individuals with disabilities during worship, ministry and community activities
· Share Christ’s message with all individuals involved in the program through words and actions
· Bachelors degree in early childhood development/education, social work, child psychology, special education, physical therapy, nursing, counseling or childhood or social concentration
· Minimum one year professional experience specializing in early childhood education, child welfare, child development, social work, special education, physical therapy, nursing, counseling or relevant occupation toward child development or counseling
· The knowledge of (or at minimum, the desire to learn) the principles, methods, and procedures for treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions
· Experience working directly with children having developmental delays or disabilities
· Experience discussing sensitive issues with families and caregivers
· Exceptional integrity and ability to keep sensitive information confidential
· Effective organization skills and a high level of detail orientation
· Comfortable working with people from cultures different from one’s own
· Passion for understanding other cultures and helping others
· Flexible and ready to learn and grow in new environments
Learn more about the application process:
Take a look at other opportunities to serve 1+ years!