Assist with Disability Ministry and VBS outreach in Malawi
Learn how Christians across the world are responding to the spiritual and physical needs of families in their community. Sign up today and experience first-hand how Lutherans in Malawi are working together to share the gospel!
LOCATION: Southern Region, Malawi
IN-COUNTRY DATES (not including travel) - TWO OPTIONS!
- February 26-March 9
- March 26-April 6
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 2-5
• Accompany Malawian volunteer teams to perform home-based care for disabled
children and participate in Worship at the Cross services
• Learn about daily life and Christian service in rural Malawi from Lutheran church
• Serve with local volunteers to organize a Bible school program for families who
live close to their church
• Attend Sunday worship in a village church
• Serve at an urban shelter for disabled adults and children
In response to the grace of Jesus, and in accordance with the commission of the body of Christ, this Kingdom Workers (KW) Service Immersion opportunity will foster cultural exchange and expose Christian volunteer workers to a foreign mission field. Participants will join in a series of guided learning and service opportunities facilitated by Kingdom Workers Malawi staff, Lutheran Church of Central Africa (LCCA) leaders, and local volunteers. Participants will learn and serve alongside Disability Ministry volunteer teams and experience other ministry areas around Blantyre.
TOTAL COST: $3,500
Includes: airfare, lodging, food, in-country transportation, visa, and program fee
FUNDRAISING: Participants are encouraged to fundraise to cover costs. Kingdom Workers provides many resources to assist with participant’s fundraising efforts.
• Be comfortable stepping outside of their comfort zone
• Be flexible with changing schedules
• Desire to learn from local Malawian leadership and community members
• Be prepared to spend significant time outdoors and traveling on rough terrain
• Be able to cope with seasonal heat and understand clean water accessibility
• Have an “I’m here to learn” attitude as opposed to an “I’m here to teach” attitude
• Be willing and ready to serve through manual labor
• Experience working with physically and developmentally disabled individuals is a plus, but not required
While there will be opportunities for meaningful service, the purpose of this experience is not to enact change or to lead a project or class. The goal is to learn about the successes and challenges local Christians face in their outreach efforts and provide a context for meaningful learning in unique areas. Immersion participants follow the guidance of the local lead teams.
EXPECTATIONS OF PARTICIPANTS:
Participants will learn biblical lessons around poverty, holistic health, and the need for a Savior in a physically and spiritually broken world. This will be facilitated through essay questions, pre-service orientation, and guided reflection and discussion.
• Complete Kingdom Workers Application
• Respond to essay questions about personal learning goals for this experience
• Complete pre-trip orientation with KW MalawiProgram Manager
• During Service Immersion: Daily Bible studies. Weekly small group discussion
• Complete post-trip team reflection, survey, and essay
IMMUNIZATIONS: Click here - Malawi Health & Immunization Information
HOUSING: Participants will be living in a hotel or guesthouse in the area.
MEALS: Participants will cook most meals themselves at the guesthouse.
GROUND TRANSPORTATION: Provided by Kingdom Workers-Malawi
SAFETY CONCERNS: Kingdom Workers-Malawi takes every precaution to ensure the safety of participants. Malawi is a stable country, and volunteer accommodations are equipped with night guards, an alarm system, and secure locks. Nevertheless, foreigners can be targets for petty theft. As part of orientation, participants are taught how to safeguard valuables. There are several hospitals in Blantyre, but some of the sites participants will be visiting are remote. Kingdom Workers will also advise participants on vaccination requirements and suggested medications to bring.