mentor youth in milwaukee
Position :: Urban Youth Leadership Coordinator
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Start date: Fall 2017
Length of service: 1+ years
Number of mission workers needed: 1
Application deadline: August 1, 2017
The Bible teaches us that demonstrating Jesus’ love is essential to both gospel witness and to the Christian life. Kingdom Workers engages people like you in several countries around the globe to serve real needs identified by members of the local communities. Then we help build the capacity to address those needs through local church members, showing the love of Jesus by building relationships that integrate service with being a witness of the gospel.
In the Milwaukee Garden Homes neighborhood and surrounding area, Kingdom Workers is partnering with Lighthouse Youth Center to expand their capacity to mentor African-American youth through high school into independent adulthood.
The Urban Youth Leadership Coordinator will gain valuable experience in youth leadership development
with the long-term goal of extending this program into other areas of Milwaukee.
What is the Lighthouse Youth Center?
Lighthouse Youth Center provides the community with a central location where youth can gather safely for recreational activities, receive assistance on their academic assignments, enjoy the positive influence of adult Christian mentors, and have opportunities to study and discuss the truths of Scripture.
The Urban Youth Leadership Coordinator will:
- Use God given knowledge, skills and abilities to share the Gospel at Lighthouse and in the community
- Work under the guidance and mentorship of Lighthouse staff
- Develop and conduct Leadership and Life Skills training sessions with Lighthouse youth
- Personally mentor several individual high-school students identified by Lighthouse Leadership
- Reach out to local churches to recruit volunteers to serve as additional Youth Leadership Mentors.
- Coordinate and supervise local volunteer Youth Leadership Mentors including schedules and training
- Grow in knowledge and skills to develop an expanded Urban Youth Outreach strategy and implement in other locations in the Milwaukee metro area
- Assist in the development of the Lighthouse program for even greater community impact
Must be a member in good standing of a church associated with the Confessional Evangelical Lutheran Conference (ie WELS, ELS)
A passion for reaching the lost; a commitment to outreach and good stewardship.
Some experience working with youth
A spirit of listening and respect in the presence of others
Consider community service outreach as a privilege in building God’s Kingdom.
Some familiarity with cross-cultural outreach and ministry
Strong cultural intelligence
Commitment to creating a collaborative environment that fosters open and honest communication
Ability to remain positive and be flexible when experiencing unexpected changes
Management and interpersonal skills
Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and manage multiple priorities and projects
Proficient use of technology and able to learn new technology as needed.
Able to maintain a valid driver's license
Learn more about the application process:
Take a look at other opportunities to serve 1+ years!